The media, the cops and the essential... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » The media, the cops and the essential revenue grab « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 381
Posted on Saturday, 09 January, 2016 - 07:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just lately there has not been enough crazy bad news and the media has been scraping the bottom of the barrel and trying to pass the mundane off as exciting news.

Yahoo7 news reports this morning that the Victorian Police Chief Commissioner has been caught on a speed camera at 108 kilometres an hour in a 100 zone on a freeway.

I find this about as interesting as the media saying "The Chief of Police today had two fried eggs on toast and patted his cat on the way to his car........."

This is not news this is dribble. Not even Pradva, the main Russian newspaper and past squark of the communist party which now contains truck loads of dribble and utter nonsense would print such boring tripe.

But wait - it gets worse ! The Chief cop then says " I'm embarrassed ". My immediate reaction is that if somebody is embarrassed for being a mere 8 kilometres over the speed limit then they need to see a shrink. Then he waffles on that he is going to going to pay the $180 fine and pay another $180 on top of that to some fund for road trauma victims. Really ? Is this fellow the full quid?

Or is he really saying "The speeding fines/revenue grab in Victoria is a known professional fleecement by the government of the motorist and its completely crazy but I want to dribble on that I am horribly embarrassed because I know the general public in Victoria are not that bright and they will believe me."

I think the Premier of Victoria should sack him immediately. Not because he broke the speed limit by a gigantic 8 kilometres but because he has just announced that either he is a moron or the general public in Victoria are morons.

8 kilometres over the speed limit on a freeway - if that's news we should all take up knitting.

John Kilkenny
Prolific User
Username: john_kilkenny

Post Number: 227
Posted on Saturday, 09 January, 2016 - 13:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

An interesting comment.
However as a Victorian I see it rather differently.
My take on this news report is that the Commissioner is emphasising that no-one is above the law and he is embarrassed that by speeding he has provided a bad example to others.
He is by all accounts a decent person and to me this report confirms it.
Unfortunately the social media environment which this forum is increasingly part of provides a convenient channel for irrelevant cynicism which adds little value to our common interest.

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 383
Posted on Saturday, 09 January, 2016 - 14:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Oh no John I think this convenient channel adds a lot of value to our common interest. The more social media there is the more democracy will exist.

I spent over a decade cross examining police in court and if I could have $5 for each one that lied under oath there would be a new Phantom next to my Camargue. Cops are very robust personalities.

Eight kilometres and hour over a speed limit is trivial and a nonsense.

If the government really wanted to reduce the accident and injury rate the first thing that would be banned would be small Asian micro cars.

I am not being cynical I am being critical of the continual blood sucking of the motorist because it is now beyond a joke whether you are a Victorian or a Queenslander.

One thing stands out when you stand on the Barkly Highway on the Queensland/North Territory border. The road as it passes from Queensland to North Territory is identical. The scenery is identical. One inch its 110 kph then its 130 kph. Now somebody is telling fibs.

Governments have banged the "speed kills" gong for far too long.

Perhaps more accidents happen because people are paranoid of fines and are constantly watching the speedo instead of the road.

"Unfortunately the social media environment which this forum is increasingly part of provides a convenient channel for irrelevant cynicism which adds little value to our common interest."

Nice poke John but I think you missed the point. This is "Idle Chatter". What I said is allowed and if its unfortunate for you its not for me.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 835
Posted on Tuesday, 12 January, 2016 - 06:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

108 isn't even 10% over. What about speedo error.

The cops in the UK wouldn't even stop you for that. 65mph in a 60 zone. To get nicked for speeding in the UK you have to go faster thus making it obvious to the driver that he or she is speeding.

I have an advanced motorist and police driving test passes.
One both these tests the driver is expected to drive at the speed limit where possible. In other words in a 60 mph zone in good conditions, with a vehicle that is capable and a clear road the examiner expects about 60 mph but not speedo chasing. So 58 to 62 mph is ok. Cruise control is permitted.
On the police test the examiner started talking about football to see if I could be distracted. Speed does not kill. Going to fast for the conditions can be fatal. Trouble is that a speed which may seem safe to some may be unsafe so we have speed limits. In Dorset the zones go from 60 to 30 just before villages because when you come round the curve there could be a tractor and trailer in the road. So us knowable locals slow down as instructed by the 30 mph zone signs every where. We also have 20 mph zones by schools etc. It's considered antisocial to go faster in these zones and it's a definite fine if you do. No talking your way out.

The problem with 24 hour news is that there isn't enough news to go round, so they start scrapping the bottom of the barrel and when a big item such as David Bowie comes up it gets reported add infinitum with lots of unknown people adding their 2 cents worth.
In the UK the recent weather has made the headlines. The press aren't happy unless the statistics say it's the worse on record. I have a longer memory than than the press. The weather in Dorset apart from the last week has been quite pleasant for January that is. According to the national press Dorset is flooded. No it isn't.

A good example of no news worthy items available is either make something up or coffee causes cancer.