You know you're Australian when Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » You know you're Australian when « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 489
Posted on Tuesday, 30 September, 2014 - 03:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Australians

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.73
Posted on Tuesday, 30 September, 2014 - 07:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Crikey

(Message approved by david_gore)

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 732
Posted on Thursday, 08 January, 2015 - 01:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Also your second is car a second ute ... o.

Bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, 08 January, 2015 - 07:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I like utes. I had a 1969 Austin A55 pick up. It was brilliant for general rugged local stuff. I got 2 tons of sand in it once. The brakes barely stopped it.

I don't like the USA idea of chrome plated pick ups. They would cry if I threw a ton of concrete blocks in the back then drove across a ploughed field and through a bramble Bush. Nothing a quick blow over with paint won't sort out.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1501
Posted on Thursday, 08 January, 2015 - 09:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You know you live in the best country in the world and do not have to prove it to anyone.

Poms and septic tanks are instantly recognised and chiacked accordingly.

When overseas, the smell of eucalyptus oil or a transplanted eucalyptus tree makes you homesick.

You know the words to "Australian Jingle Bells" and "Six White Boomers".

You know all the rules for backyard cricket and always add one or more local rules.

You know and fear a "Noah's Ark".

"But no matter how far and how wide I roam, I still call Australia home."

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 737
Posted on Thursday, 08 January, 2015 - 22:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A thong is an item of footwear and you want to wear them even if one of your legs is artificial.

A brew is a beer and not a cup of tea.

A toilet is a dunny and it's a potentially life threatening experience to use one.

You have a Christmas picnic on the beach.

"Just nipping to the shops" is a 3 day thing.

Your back yard extends beyond the horizon.

You consider all NZers to be too friendly with sheep. (Welsh people in the UK)

30C is a cool day so you put on a jumper on to keep warm.

A stroll 'in the bush' is not a reference to sexual activity.

Virtually all questions can be answered with "No worries".

All men are called Bruce and women, Sheila.

Your premier opera house looks like 3 nuns walking in file too close to each other.

When visiting the UK you work in an English pub to help finance the trip.

michael vass
Experienced User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 30
Posted on Tuesday, 08 September, 2015 - 21:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi All in Aus
Not wishing to sound like a winging pom ,but how lucky are you to have a climate, all we get in the UK is weather lol
How nice it must be to know tomorow the sun will shine.
How lucky to work in your RR/B in the sunshine instead of drizzle.
There you go winge over.
So before you say "cor blimey it's too hot" think of me!
Mike

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 490
Posted on Wednesday, 09 September, 2015 - 07:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes but the UK doesn't get the extremes where it's heating bills in the winter and aircon bills in the summer. In Bournemouth we go from 0 c to 30 ish. Mostly not below 5c and not above 25c. Cold days a jumper and hot days bare chest and shorts sorts the temps out. I only use heating for 3 months a year. Mostly I am happy in a tee shirt and loose trousers and loafers. Although sometimes shirt and tie is necessary. Wet weather I stay in and doss around.

England is green and pleasant. Life can be so sweet if you screw your loaf in England.

Screw your loaf means use your brains.

I would love to go to OZ and NZ but I cant because of money health and time.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1736
Posted on Wednesday, 09 September, 2015 - 08:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just for the record, the most noticeable difference for UK, Australian and NZ visitors to the other side of the world is usually the quality of the daylight.

The UK daylight is much softer and there is far less glare than what we are used to; our daylight is very "crisp" for want of a better word and much brighter as our cloud cover is much less on most days with lots of clear blue sky. Go to the "out back" and the light quality is something you will never forget.

We always know we are home when we walk out of the airport terminal and the light hits us.....