Beware the Omar Complex and the way o... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » Beware the Omar Complex and the way of the Taipan « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 629
Posted on Tuesday, 01 November, 2016 - 12:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jetsetters upon receiving an email from the fairer sex in New Hampshire that I had not called for two weeks I decided to inform her that I had made a firm decision not to bother with relationships anymore and that I had felt a warm glow come over me together with the removal of a gigantic anxiety cloud and that I had decided to buy another car in LA ie the Chrysler 300K to reward myself for such wisdom.

Her feathers became instantly fluffled and she retorted "thats what you need ANOTHER CAR!!!

I immediately realised that she was dead right and so this morning I spoke to my California / Nevada connection and ordered a 1973 Lincoln Continental Mark IV together with a 1975 Chrysler New Yorker Brougham.

This is what I call the Omar Complex though I must admit the Taipan Way of my rock and roll lifestyle tended to influence me to purchase not one but two more seventies luxury cars.

Funny how things just fall into place when you let them.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 621
Posted on Tuesday, 01 November, 2016 - 13:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I hear you Vlad.
Amazing the wisdom gained from the venom of a womas scorn

I too have been looking at cars after the Minister of finance & fun said
"do you really need another car?"

LOVE 70,s Falcons!

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2281
Posted on Tuesday, 01 November, 2016 - 17:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick, me too especially my 1971 XY 351cid manual GS with all the GT options.

A car to remember for all time.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 627
Posted on Tuesday, 01 November, 2016 - 20:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,
I'm a GM guy, but Holden were nowhere with their Kingswood compared to the Falcon range in the 70's.
Even the HQ had nothing on the cars I've listed above.

Any pix of the XY mate?

David Gore

Post Number: 2284
Posted on Wednesday, 02 November, 2016 - 02:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

Unfortunately no thanks to a very conflicted divorce settlement and the holder of the family archives claiming the family photos and videos were no longer available.

It was Electric Blue and one of a specification produced by Ford to qualify for racing in Class D at the 1971 Bathurst 500 whereas the legendary GTHO Phase 3 was in Class E. The specification was basically the Phase 3 running gear with the 2 barrel 351cid Cleveland engine and a 3.23:1 differential ratio. My model's best lap time was 2mins 50secs against 2mins 42secs for the GTHO's. The Class D cars ran a higher diff ratio than the GTHO and were faster down Con Rod but slower up the mountain. When passing through Bathurst on a trip to Hillston, I made a small detour to do a very fast early morning lap of the circuit when everyone including the local cops were tucked up in bed and the way the gearing matched the circuit was immediately evident with the speed of the car out of the corners and the parts of the circuit where gear changes were necessary. On Conrod straight the engine hydraulic lifters "pumped up" at 6000rpm which corresponded to 150mph actual.

Awesome car which I kept for 8 years and 300,000 miles before fatherhood and a company car intervened - stepping down from the Falcon to a 6 cylinder Cortina was traumatic. I was not a happy chappy.......... I purchased the car for AUD4200 and sold it for AUD2800; the car went to Wollongong and the purchaser converted the car to a GT replica.

My biggest regret is selling and not keeping the car however the family had to take priority.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 880
Posted on Wednesday, 02 November, 2016 - 03:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My Dear Vladimir,
I am so pleased to have infected my friends from such a distance. Infection by remote control - or electrons - is very rewarding. I hated being the only sick man on this forum - so thank you for making it easier for me to have all these difficult conversations with the minister of war. I will simply say - "hey I am not the only one who needs therapy - Vlad is just the same".....

Now for the real response - mate.......... good on you!!! enjoy your life because life is short and that shroud that they wrap us in after we croak has no pockets.......

All the best
Omar

David Gore

Post Number: 2286
Posted on Wednesday, 02 November, 2016 - 07:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

As my partner's father used to say: "you come into the world naked, you leave the world naked and without possessions."

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 630
Posted on Wednesday, 02 November, 2016 - 08:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,
What a great story.
A shame about the pics.
Do you know if it still resides in Wollongong?

Agree with Omar 100%

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 885
Posted on Wednesday, 02 November, 2016 - 14:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear David,
Your partner's father was very wise.
The best part of life of course is to spend as much time as one can (in-between the two naked times detailed above) actually naked......

David Gore

Post Number: 2287
Posted on Wednesday, 02 November, 2016 - 18:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

"The best part of life of course is to spend as much time as one can (in-between the two naked times detailed above) actually naked......"

Omar, you and I share this opinion - I get into a lot of trouble trying to maximise this objective

David Gore

Post Number: 2288
Posted on Wednesday, 02 November, 2016 - 19:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

I do not know what happened to the car as I could not stand the pain of being reminded of the consequences of my decision.

I suspect it probably ended its days wrapped around a tree or a write-off after a crash like so many other GT replica conversions from this era.

I just wish I had never sold it....................

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 634
Posted on Thursday, 03 November, 2016 - 11:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Lets hope it is being looked after David for the next owner.

John Beech
Experienced User
Username: jbeech

Post Number: 30
Posted on Tuesday, 15 November, 2016 - 17:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I attended university the second time around (early 90s) accompanied by a 1973 New Yorker Brougham. She was white on white on white (with the half-Landau white vinyl roof) and ran a treat. I suppose I still own her, come to think of it because for each of three years we traveled to summer in Alabama and take classes I left her in the care of a friendly gas station owner. Hmmm, need to call and see if he's still alive and in business. He kept her in the fenced enclosure of the tow yard (he had the county tow contract). Great car. Lynn loved the bench seat because she could snuggle right up to me as we drove around since everything else we owned had a center console. And I've recently seen a silver with blue Mk IV running around town (Bill Blass version, I believe) that looks really nice. Very handsome car.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 663
Posted on Tuesday, 15 November, 2016 - 18:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Great story John.
Is this what it looks like?

John Beech
Experienced User
Username: jbeech

Post Number: 31
Posted on Wednesday, 16 November, 2016 - 04:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes, pretty much as I remember it.