Crohn's Disease Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » Crohn's Disease « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 814
Posted on Sunday, 27 December, 2015 - 06:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just before Xmas I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease. This is a more specific diagnoses of my illness. It now means that my treatment can be more focused. They are giving me Methotrexate which suppresses my immune system. At the moment I have a flare up and I am eating very lightly. Hence no work done on my car recently.
This is good news because if the Methotrexate works then I can do more stuff.
Even get a job.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1864
Posted on Sunday, 27 December, 2015 - 07:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Bob,

It is a major step forward when you get a confirmed diagnosis and the appropriate medications begin to do what they are meant to do.

What is this about "getting a job" when you already have one giving all of us the benefits of both your experience and your humour........

"Onward ever onward" as my high school teacher used to say about my handwriting and we all wish you permanent improvements in your health.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1804
Posted on Sunday, 27 December, 2015 - 10:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bob,

My nephew has Crohn's and I can say it's pretty remarkable how treatment for the condition, once it was identified, has changed his life for the better.

I certainly hope your 2016 will be a much more comfortable one!!

Brian

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 904
Posted on Monday, 28 December, 2015 - 10:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

One of my late wife's best friends had Crohn's. She was still working (for me) well into her late 50's. The magic paliative is British fish & chips!

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 815
Posted on Tuesday, 29 December, 2015 - 04:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Crohn's is a very individual disease. I don't appear to have problems with any particular food. However I have problems with losing weight . If I eat extra the pain starts.

I have been lucky because 11 months ago I couldn't walk or even understand what going on. I thought I was in Russia.

Thank you all for the support.

Methotrexate suppresses the immune system which means cold or flue is dangerous.

All this has changed my outlook on life. Such as I don't get irked by life's little minutia. I really don't care that my bins didn't get emptied, next week will do.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1806
Posted on Tuesday, 29 December, 2015 - 05:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bob,

Congratulations (and I mean that sincerely) on having this major upheaval cause you to recalibrate your approach to life's little minutiae.

I have had the same thing happen because of my mother's dementia and what I now have to face regarding her decline. It really becomes very comforting to realize that things that have an actual, finite fix, even if they may have seemed monumental at one time, really aren't. Things that can be actually fixed or done later are not something to spend one's energy upon as though they were earth-shattering.

Brian (who also thinks that's true to some extent for the things one can't fix. Becoming "zen" about them keeps one from despair and madness)

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 816
Posted on Tuesday, 29 December, 2015 - 10:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Zen is good way of looking at things. Why worry about stuff one has no control over. I am 64 and nothing's permanent. I remember being young when nothing seemed to change, but really looking back it was a short period.

John Lennon said life is what happens while making plans for your life.

Everything fixes it self one way or another. Not always as we would like but life goes on.