Great Rock and Roll Movie for Cycloni... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » Great Rock and Roll Movie for Cyclonic Times « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 769
Posted on Wednesday, 29 March, 2017 - 06:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jetsetters and bottle polishers check out The Boat That Rocked.

I think we all would have liked to been on that boat !!!

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1360
Posted on Monday, 03 April, 2017 - 22:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Radio Caroline parked in the north sea.

It was a stab at the BBC for controlling the air waves and censoring what music was broadcast.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2501
Posted on Tuesday, 04 April, 2017 - 09:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Confession time - I have to admit to installing the transmitting aerial for short-lived "pirate" radio station 2BC at the UNSW Phillip Baxter College in 1966. Being located in top floor B Block, I was ideally located for the transmitter aerial. I convinced the College Warden that I was a short wave radio listener and needed an external aerial for best reception [note: the Warden was a Physics Professor at UNSW who was heavily involved in the development of radar during WW2 and no doubt would have known we were up to something] and installed the aerial in a prime location between two blocks of the college.

A small group of electrical engineering students designed and built a valve radio transmitter that was fitted into a shoe box sized case that could be quickly disconnected and hidden when needed. The radio went on air for several hours each evening and thanks to the various record collections of residents, an eclectic mix of music genres were used for transmission.

Our downfall was relatively rapid and terminal - the engineers had neglected to include harmonic suppression in their design and whilst the medium band coverage was relatively limited, the short-wave coverage of harmonic frequencies was not and other legitimate licenced users of the short wave spectrum quickly lodged complaints to the PMG who were responsible for wireless broadcasting in Australia about interference.

The Warden received a visit from a trio of PMG "heavies" who informed him there was a pirate illegal radio transmitter operating from the College and if it wasn't shut down immediately, they would take official action against those involved.

That evening we had a short and unequivocal meeting in the Warden's office and our career as pirate radio operators ceased forthwith but remains part of College history . I was allowed to keep my aerial and it was finally removed when I left the College 4 years later.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1363
Posted on Tuesday, 04 April, 2017 - 21:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I would like to Stab the the BBC for being left liberals and trying to spread fear about brexit.

The post master general takes me back.

We had bad interference and the PMG sent an engineer round and he traced it to a ventilation motor at the local pub. The pub fitted a new motor and all was good after. the pub TV was bad as well so the pub was quite grateful, because it was 1966 and the world football cup was coming up. If it my dad had not complained then we wouldn't have won.