Treasure. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » Treasure. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 449
Posted on Saturday, 22 August, 2015 - 10:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I bought a used set of whitworth dies and taps with a die stock and tap holder. Up to 1/2 BSW. In a metal case with a wooden tray. £6. Warrior brand good makers of dies etc. The guy also has a complete set of 0BA to 10BA taps and dies which unfortunately was sold £15. Warrior as well.

I have many Whitworth spanners and sockets because Whitworth was current when I was an apprentice. I only keep the odd one in my tool cabinet. The rest are in plastic trays on the selves in my parts store section gathering dust. 25 years.
However taps and dies are still very useful. Up until 1970 Brit cars and 1983 for motorbikes still had the odd Whitworth bolt lurking around.

Minors had 5/16 Whitworth bolts holding the rad and engine mounting pedestals and the floor over the gearbox. Captive nuts which are a pita to replace. A tap usually makes them serviceable. With out the spanners and taps I can't fix the car.

My sockets and spanners are color coded.
Green BA
Red Whitworth
Yellow Metric
Blue imperial A/F.

Its makes things easier, I hate spending wasted time looking for a stupid misplaced spanner and I know if a tool has been left in a car.

Also I have a measuring instrument and drawing stuff drawer.

The above is really an extension of the hobby of old cars. Plus it's nice to go in my cave. Nice and tidy.