Corniche Sparkplugs/combustion cleaner Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Corniche Sparkplugs/combustion cleaner « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

George Constantine
New User
Username: theo

Post Number: 39
Posted on Sunday, 22 September, 2024 - 23:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all. Need a little advice. Can I use STP PRO-SERIES CAR INTAKE VALVE CLEANER to clean the sparkplugs/combustion chamber on a 1979 Corniche? I don't use the car very often and the plugs get fouled up. I don't want to keep removing the plugs as some of the plug holes were fitted with tread sleeves and it's a job to keep removing them. Any advice on the best way to clean the plugs without removing them would be appreciated.

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 857
Posted on Monday, 23 September, 2024 - 11:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A good Italian tune up when the engine is fully warmed up is probably the best method. Take her for a good fast spin down a long highway. The more they're driven the better they go.

Jeff Martin
Frequent User
Username: jeff_r_1

Post Number: 699
Posted on Monday, 23 September, 2024 - 13:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Agree, all this combustion cleaner crap is just that.

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 883
Posted on Monday, 23 September, 2024 - 19:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I agree with the others, nice gentle warm up, then 30 miles down the motorway third lane at 70mph. It works on my cars and after a motorway run, the improvement is noticeable.

George Constantine
New User
Username: theo

Post Number: 40
Posted on Monday, 23 September, 2024 - 21:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you all for the advice. I was hoping for a "miracle cure" Larry, what's an Italian tune-up"?

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 3387
Posted on Tuesday, 24 September, 2024 - 01:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

George,

Larry described the "Italian Tune-Up" pretty exactly. It's taking the car out for a long drive where you get it going at highway speeds and/or up steep grades for "a period of time exceeding 45 minutes" after it has reached full operating temperature. Think of it as a long, briskly paced drive where the engine gets put under some stress as opposed to just ambling down city streets.

The phrase "burning the carbon off" also gets used.

Brian

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 2597
Posted on Saturday, 28 September, 2024 - 06:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

so carbon build up is another posting!
so replying to this thread with copy.

So pleased to see the replies to the posting above have been removed or so i thought, driving the car at high engine speed to clear plug fouling with carbon build up is a short term fix with possible damage resulting.

As for the question on adding intake valve cleaner
it is a big no.

IMO First fill up and use E5 super unleaded rather than the E10 if you don't already, it can cause many fuelling problems.

Book the car in for c/o emission check and make sure the car up to operating temp.

If the car is running the Opus ignition they can give misfiring on start up etc.
A scope set up will show plug kv firing lines.
Ignition timing etc etc with the correct procedure.

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 885
Posted on Saturday, 28 September, 2024 - 22:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

George, are you using either platinum or Iridium plugs, these are a vast improvement over standard plugs and cured my fouling problems on my S1, Shadow and Austin Healey. My storage is such that I have to shunt cars about to get cars out which cokes them hence a nice brisk motorway run occasionally. Use E5 fuel and I use Tetraboost additive. I used my Shadow as a daily driver for 11 years and heavy traffic and local use would give rise to poor running, all cured by a good run and a change to platinum plugs back in the early 2000's !I pensioned it off from daily use 15 years ago and kept it. Now using SZ seies as daily transport. These also foul if carb engined, but the injection cars are much better in this respect. Mark

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: