SY A.C.U Test Box RH8851 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » SY A.C.U Test Box RH8851 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Patrick McGlashan
Yet to post message
Username: pmac

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, 10 June, 2024 - 14:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi everyone
I reversed engineered the ACU Test Box RH8851.

I made several specimens, six (6) total to date. I use one of them to successfully test and adjust the ACU on my 1977 SW II LRF32027. A few years ago I shared the information with Vlad, however I don’t know if there were any interest in the box on this forum.

I have a basic wiring diagram from which I successfully assembled the ones I have here in California. I’m willing to share all the information about the test box for the benefit of all. This is my way of saying thanks to all the folks who’ve posted information on this forum from which I benefited.

I certainly don’t need to have six of the test box sitting in my garage gathering dust. Therefore, if anyone is in need of a test box I could list it on the For Sale section of the forum. I’m also willing to let anyone who’s interested in the wiring diagram and a complete parts list if you’re up to building your test box. Word of caution: it involves quite a bit of soldering…a lot.

The enclosure for the test box is an off-the-shelf ABS box that is available online. If you prefer, you could make the enclosure out of wood. As for the face plate, careful placement of the holes for the switches, panel meter and potentiometers will take some effort if done from scratch. I have a template for the holes I could share. A company that does screen printing either on matal or ABS can imprint the names of all the bits.

I don’t know if the test box is available anymore. About ten years ago, Albers were selling them for close to $2000 USD. I’d have to sit down before calling them for an updated price for the box.

If anyone has a question about the test box feel free to respond publicly or PM me.

Patrick
LRF32027

Mark Herbstreit
Frequent User
Username: mark_herbstreit

Post Number: 247
Posted on Monday, 10 June, 2024 - 21:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I was just looking at the original post yesterday. I would love to have a copy of the circuit. I find myself in a situation where I need RH8851 and RH9884. Not sure if there’s a circuit available for the latter?
Not sure what the cost of getting one you prepared earlier to Aus but it would be useful for our club self help days

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 4270
Posted on Tuesday, 11 June, 2024 - 08:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Patrick,

Thank you for your kind offer to make your ACU Test Box available for purchase by interested members of our Forum.

Patrick McGlashan
New User

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, 12 June, 2024 - 15:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello David and Mark.

Thank you. David, the patch cables for the test box are MIA somewhere in my car garage. As soon as I find them I will make some of them available on the for sale section of the forum.

Mark. I'm willing to donate one of the test box for your club self help days. If you or anyone loves to twiddle with switches and knobs, the test box is for you! Lol. You will have fun using it as you follow the troubleshooting/calibration procedures in the shop manual.

please send me an address and I'll get one off to you down under. I will go to my local post office and get a quote for the postage and get back to you. I'm not sure about Customs duty when it reaches your destination.

By the way, I don't have a wiring diagram for the RH9884. I'll try and attach a few pictures of the test box I have on hand.

Patrick
LRF32027

* I made several attempts to upload the wiring diagram and some pictures of the test box to no avail.. I shrunk them to under 400kb and I continue to get an error message stating that the file size exceeded 800X800 kb. hands up in the air.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 4272
Posted on Wednesday, 12 June, 2024 - 18:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

Please email the wiring diagram and images to me as below and I will post them here on your behalf:

drh14434@yahoo.com.au

Mark Herbstreit
Frequent User

Post Number: 248
Posted on Wednesday, 12 June, 2024 - 20:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Wow Patrick, what a generous offer. PM sent.
The seeds of the RROCA self help were planted decades ago by Bill Coburn. The Victoria branch mantle was taken up by Robert Wort. Through the generous donations of one our members, Lionel Gell, we now have a workshop at our disposal. Once a month we get together to tinker and talk about issues affecting our old cars.
I'm sure Patrick's magic box will be a great asset to our like minded enthusiasts.
Thanks Patrick

Patrick McGlashan
New User

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, 24 August, 2024 - 06:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gentlemen
I’m trying to do a follow up contact with MARK HERBSTREIT. I had offered one of my ACU Test Box to his local group in Victoria. I’ve made several attempts to contact him but to no avail.

Could some on this forum let him know that Patrick McGlashan is trying to contact him and is ready to ship the test box to him.

Regards

Patrick
LRF32027

Mark Herbstreit
Frequent User

Post Number: 249
Posted on Saturday, 24 August, 2024 - 08:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Patrick. I'm here!

I'm not sure what's going on with our telecommunication glitches. I got the pictures you sent on 9th July and responded same day.

I just noticed a message from you in my gmail account from last night. I will respond to that now and see how we go.
Cheers,
Mark

Mark Herbstreit
Frequent User

Post Number: 250
Posted on Thursday, 05 September, 2024 - 21:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Look what arrived today! The workmanship is of Rolls-Royce quality

shadow box

I can't thank Patrick enough for his generosity. Now I just have to learn how it all works!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: