U joint removal Silver Spur Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » U joint removal Silver Spur « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

DennisBuchholz
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, 25 May, 2024 - 07:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I could use some help in removing the rubber pads in the drive shaft on my
silver Spur. Is there a manual available that gives the steps on how to do this??

(Message approved by david_gore)

Cliff Biggs
Experienced User
Username: cliffy

Post Number: 138
Posted on Wednesday, 29 May, 2024 - 00:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The maintenance manual is available on this website in the Technical Library at the bottom of the opening page
Caution- Just had a friend do this on his Spirit and he found that the bolts through the rubber joints were extremely tight so much so he couldn't get one set to loosen AND he found no new bolts available anywhere he looked.
Secure your parts before you start IF the vehicle is still drivable
There is reference somewhere that the rubber discs are exactly the same for one model of MG IIRC. But they are available just not the bolts according to him. He found some Grade 8 metric bolts that were a little longer to use.

Jeff Martin
Frequent User
Username: jeff_r_1

Post Number: 642
Posted on Wednesday, 29 May, 2024 - 03:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Any bolts that tight and won't move have galled threads, so even if you did get them off, they would have to be replaced.

Cliff Biggs
Experienced User
Username: cliffy

Post Number: 139
Posted on Sunday, 09 June, 2024 - 21:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I tend to agree and in that this guy I know is a pretty good mechanic (he has a fleet of classic and old cars , 15, dating back to a 1908 Cadillac that he does 90% of the maintenance on himself) I tend to believe him.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: