Dint removal for alloy - light steel Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Dint removal for alloy - light steel « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jason Watson
Experienced User
Username: crikeydawn

Post Number: 155
Posted on Monday, 20 May, 2024 - 05:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I picked these Radford era ice thermoses for my Countryman. The larger one has some usage dints I'd like to get removed. I'm having trouble finding interest from painless din't removal mobs as they are too busy or its too petty for them.

Wondering if anyone can suggest a contact in Australia that may be interested.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 4267
Posted on Monday, 20 May, 2024 - 06:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jason,

Sorry to be a bearer of sad news however I doubt you will be able to remove the dents assuming these items are a vacuum flask as I assume you would have to press out the dents from the inside.

This would necessitate recreating the vacuum after the repair.

Just regard them as having the "patina" of age and usage and enjoy them regardless.

Jason Watson
Experienced User
Username: crikeydawn

Post Number: 156
Posted on Tuesday, 21 May, 2024 - 04:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

yeh maybe. The metal in it is 1930-50 thickness, and the glass inner is quite thick compared to a modern thermos. It uses a cork for a seal but presume the inner is vulcanised in somehow. Not sure if I can pull it apart or that just opens a bigger can of worms.

I do find it amazing what they do with steel these days. The wife's car was peppered with hail dints and the whole car was done with paint-less dint removal, all from the outside I understand and not a crinkle or hint of a dint anywhere when done. It wasn't painted as the scratched were still there unfortunately.

My 130 land rover chassis was straightened by UV light after someone shunted the rear of it. I checked with the repairer multiple times surely not, but he was adamant it was UV as heat changes the metals make up. Still not sure if that's all true but the chassis never bent again.

Maybe its just easier as you say and live with the patina of it. Perhaps place the side without the dints, to face outwards when its in the door. Got to be grateful I just found one. Bit like rocking horse poo it seems.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: