Battery isolater switch? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Battery isolater switch? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Towers
Frequent User
Username: xtriple

Post Number: 92
Posted on Tuesday, 14 February, 2017 - 19:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

How long should the battery stay 'up' with the battery master switch deployed? I ask as my car (98 Brooklands 'R' 66221) is currently tucked away hibernating through the bad weather. I went to start her yesterday which was exactly 4 weeks since put away and after switching the master back on, all the interior lights were very dim and the car failed to proceed! The battery was new late last year and is a big 'one.

Also, she can take a bit of cranking from cold, does this mean the accumulator for fuel pressure is weak?

Thank you chaps

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1743
Posted on Tuesday, 14 February, 2017 - 20:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

From 1990 onwards the battery cut off switch doesn't cut off everything. This makes it even more important to have a battery maintenance charger on it when been stored. If it has been sitting for a long time you could try turning the ignition on and off a couple of times first.

David Towers
Frequent User

Post Number: 93
Posted on Tuesday, 14 February, 2017 - 20:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you. Makes sense and appeases my ocd.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1089
Posted on Tuesday, 14 February, 2017 - 21:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,
Cold weather really hurts a batteries cranking ability.
Half of its ability can be lost based on how cold it is.

Maybe there is nothing wrong, just the cold playing havoc.

But as Paul rightly states a trickle charger will help to overcome what is called parasitic loss in the later cars.

Alan Ford
Prolific User
Username: herne13

Post Number: 146
Posted on Tuesday, 14 February, 2017 - 21:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

For what it's worth I have a solar trickle charger hooked up to mine. Cheap and effective from ebay.
It is certainly takes the worry out of will it start or not.

David Towers
Frequent User

Post Number: 94
Posted on Tuesday, 14 February, 2017 - 22:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Garage is remote from me and there is no electric in it. I will have to look into a solar powered one, but, I am hoping the weather will improve enough to actually be able to use the car soon!

Not sure where I could position a solar cell for the charger though. Think I'll just go and get the battery and bring it home for a re-charge.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: